Monday, November 10, 2008

Japan Baseball: Giants VS. Lions

I am not a fan of baseball leagues. In the Philippines baseball is not a popular sport, I preferred basketball instead and watched NBA most often, my brothers always tune in to cable TV just to watch the NBA series. Our habit everynight is watching TV while eating dinner. My aunt's husband likes watching sports such as soccer, boxing, K1 (kickboxing) and baseball games. Recently, he always watched baseball because of the Championship series and at that point I got interested in baseball. I only knew 1 team in Japanese Baseball League and it's Chunichi Dragons. Honestly, I have knew this team because of Dragons Day SALE in the department stores with matching Dragons theme song playing over and over again. Out of curiosity, I asked my aunt about it and she explained that the Dragons is the Aichi prefecture's team in the baseball league, everytime they enter the championship series, all department stores and supermarket in Aichiken give special discounts. This season Chunichi Dragons made it to the championship series, but their battle for the championship easily ends. Yomiura Giants from Tokyo beated them. My uncle was a fan of Yomiuri Giants and as for me, though I am not an avid fan my bet is off course Chunichi Dragons. The battle continues for Yomiuri Giants as they face The Saitama Seibu Lion for the final leg of the series. Still my whole family here, were Giants, I go for Lions, why? Most players were handsome....

Seibu Lions defeat Yomiuri Giants in Game 7 to win Japan Series
TOKYO (AP) -- The Seibu Lions won their first Japan Series title since 2004 on Sunday by defeating the Yomiuri Giants 3-2 in Game 7. Former major leaguer Hiram Bocachica hit a solo home run in the top of the fifth inning and former New York Yankees pitcher Alex Graman recorded the final six outs for the save as the Lions won their 13th Japan Series title.

In fielder Hiroshi Hirao drove in the winning run with a single up the middle in the eighth inning at Tokyo Dome.
Seibu pitcher Takayuki Kishi, who was named series MVP, won Game 6 to set up the decisive Game 7.
It was a disappointing end to the season for the Giants, who built a 3-2 series lead before heading back to their home stadium for the final two games.The Giants signed former major leaguers Alex Ramirez and pitcher Seth Greisinger from the Yakult Swallows before the 2008 season. They also signed hard-throwing reliever Marc Kroon from the Yokohama BayStars in the offseason.
Yomiuri manager Tatsunori Hara was named manager of Japan's team for the 2009 World Baseball Classic before the start of the Japan Series but couldn't guide his team to their first championship since 2002.
(Mainichi Japan) November 10, 2008

No comments: