Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A year ago, I lived in Kariya


It's almost a year when we moved in Okazaki. I used to lived in Kariya, when I first came to Japan. Reminiscing, we lived in an apartment on the 2nd floor, in front of our apartment is a rice field, on the left side of it is a convenience store and on the other side is a gasoline station. On both side of our apartment are residential houses and on the back side is a small playground, where we play badminton. It's a small town with only few stores to visit, places to go and people to see but not so rural. UStore is just a 5 minutes walk from our place, we used to go there for kaimono (shopping). It's a good thing that Aichi University of Education is located within our town so, it is accessible to public transportation. The bus station is approximately 10 minutes walk from our place. I used to go to Aichi University of Education for my Nihongo class, they offer free lessons with volunteer AUE students as teacher. Aside from the free lessons, they also organize trips across Japan, off course for foreigners like me, and other activities like outdoor yakiniku (barbeque) and parties. My first sakura (cherry blossom) in Japan is in Suhara koen also located in or town, this park is very memorable for me. Our picnics were always held in this place and it has an indoor pool were we used to swim. I am really at home in Kariya, I will always remember this place wherever I may be.

Suhara Koen
■ Address: Aichi-ken, Kariya-shi, Igaya-cho, Suhara 4-1
■ Details about the location: Area with tennis court, heated pool and lake boats (the use of these facilities is charged separately). The barbecue is done around the lake which has table seating, in areas identified by the administration itself. Please stay and learn about the rules for use of this venue. In case of larger groups of 20 people can use the area's homeless.
■ Value for the use:
* It's free. It is necessary to bring all the utensils for the barbecue
■ Time: All day until sunset.
* Closed on Wednesdays, but if it falls on a holiday, will operate normally and will close the following day.
■ Reservations and information concerning the location: 0566-36-8122 (in Japanese) reservations must be made at least 1 month in advance.
■ Parking: Free

Aichi University of Education(愛知教育大学, Aichi kyōiku daigaku)
Website: www.aichi-edu.ac.jp/eng/index.html

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello. I just wanted to ask a few question. I currently live in Kariya and looking for a good Nihongo class. You mentioned in this post that you took your Nihongo classes in Aichi University. Can you please tell me the procedures on how to participate on this classes? I know your blog post was way back 2008 but can you please give me some ideas? Thank you. I will really appreciate it.